5 Things to Ignore When Designing Websites

Designers have enough to worry about when doing a design. From trying to decipher what the client wants, to getting a hold of the appropriate assets and choosing the right colors and fonts to use, which only scratches the surface of what goes into a good web design.

Here are a few thing that you are safe to forget about when you’re designing the website, you’ll have plenty of time to think about them later on with the other people involved in building the website.

Trends

It is very tempting to see what is hot in the industry and jump on the bandwagon, producing similar designs. I try and avoid trends in my work, for two reasons.

I want my design to stand out from the crowd, having a design that is like everyone else’s, makes that very difficult. It is much better to be the one starting a new trend than being someone who follows them.

You also want to avoid picking a style just because its popular right now. Picking the right style for the website is better for the long term success of the project than what is techniques or styles are hot right now. Even if something isn’t in vogue right now doesn’t mean you can’t use it for your design, especially if it is the right one to you.

HTML/CSS

It has often been said that a good designer should know HTML/CSS to avoid problems while coding. I say that’s not the designers problem. If designers start to worry about what HTML/CSS is able to do we will never push the boundaries of what is being done.

Also, a designer won’t have the time to stay a breast of all latest developments in front end coding (it’s not their job to do so), so what they think is or is not possible may not be accurate.

Updated: The reality is that most designers have at least a basic understanding of HTML/CSS, some are able to code their own designs, and yes that is a good thing. Even still I’m suggesting that while you are designing you forget what you think know about how the design will be built. If you start thinking about that, you’re not thinking about what is best for the design. Yes you will work with your team to figure out if some things need to change in the design due to the implementation details (usually time is the biggest factor). It is better start with what you want to do and scale it back, than self edit as you design.

Cross Browser Problems

Similar to ignoring HTML/CSS capabilities, designers should ignore problems cross browser. Just because something isn’t possible in IE, mean’s you shouldn’t design it. Let the front end developers worry about hacking the browsers to make sure things work cross browser. They may come back to you to create a slightly different treatment for the older less capable browsers, but that’s ok.

Bandwidth

With the proliferation of the high speed connections, speed of connection is something you shouldn’t worry too much about, unless you’re designing for mobile devices, and even some of those have high speed connections.

Yes there are many people out there still on dial up, or other low bandwidth connections, but you really shouldn’t let them be the rulers of the design. If it turns out that low bandwidth users are a big issues it is easier to scale back the design than scaling it up.

SEO

Don’t design the website for search engines, design them for people.

Google is the god of free traffic (paid too!) and this can influence people to change the layout and design of their websites to improve their rank. This is one of the worst things you can do. The primary ranking criteria for Google is back links. Design your pages for search engines and users will hate you, and you’ll have no backlinks, and your Google ranking will suffer. Treat your users well and Google will treat you well too.

What things do you ignore when designing?

Response to some of the comments below:
Designers are getting more involved in the build of websites, this can lead changes in the design due to build factors, not because it is the best thing for the design. Sometimes these changes are necessary but often they are not, they are made due to the designers understandable lack of knowledge of current development techniques. Yes it can be helpful for a designer to know how the build of a website is done, but that knowledge should not affect the design just because they think something is hard or easy in the implementation.

Some people have suggested that this article says that these things are responsibility of other people and so the designer should ignore them, and that this is awful advice … A designer typically works as part of a team to design, develop and deploy a website, I think it is wise to rely on other parts of team to do the things they were hired to do. To think a designer should do it all, is irresponsible and definitely won’t produce the best website for the client. Yes there are a few geniuses out there who can do it all, but they are the exception rather than the rule.

In the comment people have suggested it only 20 minute to learn HTML/CSS so why shouldn’t a designer learn it. That’s is simply a foolish statement, sure you can pick up the very basic rules in that tiny amount of time, but to be able to do a good job of coding a website is something that people never stop learning.

About Mubashar Iqbal

Mubashar Iqbal is the creator of Most Inspired, a web designer and developer, who has been building websites for over 13 years. You can read his blog at Mubashar Iqbal
This entry was posted in Design Services and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

95 Responses to 5 Things to Ignore When Designing Websites

1. Brian says:

This article is so irresponsible and a picture of a non-teamwork oriented, non user-centic design process. I disagree with pretty much everything said here.

2. @consciousness says:

ignore the html and css? do you realize how easy css is to learn and implement? one shouldn’t even call themself a web designer if they don’t know it, and it takes all of 20 minutes to learn.

3. Joey Cagle says:

Doesn’t make sense. How can a web site designer ignore HTML/CSS and cross-browser issues. We’re designing WEB SITES! That’s a site meant to be viewed in a web browser, and web sites are made with HTML and CSS! And people use different web browsers. How can a designer ignore this?

I agree with you on the trends, though, and with the SEO. Not sure how I feel about the bandwidth. It really depends on the target audience of the web site.

4. I think it is unfortunate that you recommend designers be unfamiliar with the constraints that HTML/CSS place on developers. This simply encourages the ages-old conflict between the two sides of the same coin when it can be avoided altogether by awareness of the issues.

I work with a talented designer who occasionally bumps up against this and thankfully our working relationship is one in which I can educate her and we move forward. Lucky for me she wants to know the limits she is working inside because it makes both of our jobs easier.

Encouraging designers to not bother learning the limits of how their designs can be translated to the web is reckless and I fail to see how it could benefit anybody’s client when things have to be re-worked.

I don’t expect my designers to know everything about how their mock-ups will become code, but I do expect my designers to soak in information that can help streamline the process for everyone involved.

I also don’t think it makes sense to suggest that SEO has nothing to do with design. At the very least a designer should be aware of how much more valuable text linking is than image linking and to anticipate a navigation structure to take advantage of this. Designers need not be concerned with keywords being used as this doesn’t impact their realm, but they certainly ought to know that their design can impact how well a site performs in search engine rankings due to internal linking strategies.

Finally I would suggest to you that bandwidth considerations are not for the designer to decide. Best practices in general require as few http calls as possible inclusive of images.

All of these suggestions you give really make it clear that you encourage the designer to consider him/herself to be the center of the process of web design. In my experience the center belongs squarely with the client. In order to deliver the best site possible to the client, designers should strive to be aware of all project considerations.

5. Les James says:

I agree with all of them except for the part about knowing HTML/CSS. Maybe I disagree because I do both design and implementation but I think it’s important to know what is possible. It’s not that hard to keep up with. We can do quite a bit with CSS today but it’s not a total free for all. Designers should know what the limits are because it helps manage expectations and makes it that much easier for front end developers.

6. Rob Miracle says:

I can agree with your first point. A good designer is a leader not a follower, but the next 5 points will create friction between you and you web developer and show a lack of understanding for the web.

There is a big difference between designing for a media such as print where you can make anything happen because you control the output vs. a media like the web where you don’t control the final result.

Ignoring SEO, not knowing what is possible and not with HTML and CSS or not caring about how fast your page loads are all paths for irritating your developer and more importantly your viewers.

7. Thanks for the comments everyone, I knew the HTML/CSS section would rub people the wrong way.

I guess I could clarify my views on that. I think that often designers who are proficient in HTML/CSS begin to think about how things will be implemented as they design them.

This changes the design not because is what the designer wants, but because it will be easier to implement. In some cases that may be good for the project, but that doesn’t necessarily create the best design.

Knowing HTML/CSS is a valuable skill, and something I’m happy I know, but in most cases it should not affect the design created by the designers.

As for the other comment for encouraging designers to be the center of the process …

I think I made it quite clear that designers have plenty of other things to worry about, the primary one being to interface with the client to produce the best work based on their requirements. I’m not sure how this makes the designer the focus.

@brain: I’m not sure how anything I’ve suggest makes the design less user-centric

8. @robert: I’m not saying people shouldn’t know HTML/CSS, I’m just saying it shouldn’t exert undue influence on your design. Just because you a designer think something isn’t possible in HTML/CSS doesn’t mean it is.

As for SEO there is no reason why it should influence your design.

There are many techniques for improving page load times, that have nothing to do with design, from caching to using sprites all the realm of the front end developer, and not something a designer should be worried about.

9. Jbermudez says:

Regardless of platform the technology involved should be considered.

Design for people. Usability should be considered but if you are working with thousands or maybe millions of dollars of a clients money SEO needs to be considered in design and content wise.

Some trends become stadards for users not talking about the 1pixel gradient on you btns, but placement of navigation, content in the footer, lightboxes etc.

Bandwith, you cannot be narrow minded. What market are you working with, how heavy is your design going to be, is it a web app, news portal that will get millions of impresions, are just some of the things that need to be taken into consideration.

I think this is not a team oriented post, and not to be applied and a little misguiding to new web designers that might take this article to heart, but will be suprised that this is a way of working that wont fly in an agency with teams of poeple that should be cooperative in every aspect of their job.

The only point i somewhat agree is cross browser compatability. Just let IE6 degrade gracefully. and make sure it works.

10. As a PHP developer, I can say that a lack of xHTML/CSS knowledge is a big no-no for any designer, JS is also really a must as well.

In a realistic situation, most companys use a framework of some sort, which seperates Design and Development. Without the designers having an understanding of HTML/CSS, the seperation of content and design is completely irrelevant.

SEO is something that you really don’t worry about in Design anyway, so that points irrelevant.

Bandwidth is something you DO need to consider, when pages become 2-3MB with images and all, it becomes a pain in the neck to load everything, and at the least you should be trying to pack scripts/compress them etc.

Consider this – a good designer should never ignore anything. Just because somethings easier to slice to CSS, doesn’t mean a designer has to make the design easier, I think the constraints have to be considered so they can be BROKEN.

Trends come and go, thats really not a big deal. A good designer knows whether a trend suits a clients website or not.

I really think you chose the 5 least important things, and just listed them, rather than actually considering that they are in fact very important. a website designer needs to realise what the weakest point of a design, be it site optimization, SEO, Markup Validation, and work on those so the site is of an “industry” standard.

11. @Jbermudez: Perhaps you can explain to me why I should design for SEO? These days SEO is primarily related to key words, density and backlinks. Design affects these how? I think I made it clear in the article that the designer should focus on producing a good design for the user, not for search engines.

So just because one website gets more pageviews than another we should change the design for it? Perhaps you can use a CDN instead of hosting and serving your images if you get that much traffic, which are considerations that the designer shouldn’t deal with. If the requirement from the client is a website with no images because we get a lot of traffic fair enough.

I’ve worked in an agency environment for over 5 years now, and I can tell we’ve done our best work when we let the team members do what they are best at. Let a designer design, and a coder code. Yes there is need for communication between the team members, but I’ve found it is best to show what you want to the team instead of imposing limits on yourself, because of what you think is or is not possible.

@alistair: I’ve said it before but I’ll say it again, I’m not saying the designer shouldn’t know HTML/CSS just that their knowledge of it shouldn’t affect the design they are creating.

I’ve seen plenty of designs affected by SEO requirements, mainly because people (designers, the client, whoever) doesn’t understand SEO, but designs are adjusted to move things to be more prominent for search engine.

As for bandwidth thanks for making my point for me, packing scripts and compressing assets has nothing to do with design, so why should a designer be concerned with it. If a website comes in a 2-3MB you’re doing a poor job of slicing the PSD and adjusting the quality/compression in the images produced.

As for you last point, how is “markup validation” or SEO any concern for the designer? Yes the client should demand these, but since when Photoshop produce valid markup?

I’m not saying these things are not required in websites, they most certainly are, but they are things that the DESIGNER should not be concerned with (maybe it would be good to read the article again).

12. Bonita says:

The point of view sounds very much like that of a print designer, or someone who is familiar with design, but not familiar with web standards at all, and how they would go about designing a website.. (..and I have seen the effects of this. )

Yes, ignoring some of these points does challenge new ideas for web design, but overall it is necessary to have a basic idea of how HTML/CSS works, as well as basic requirements for SEO-based sites.

New ideas and concepts that challenge web standards are great. But they need to challenge them, not complicate them.

Also, SEO greatly influences the design of your site. This of course depends on the site’s requirements. When SEO needs to be taken into consideration, content is king..

It’s important to keep in mind that you need to “know the rules before you break them”.

13. AFI says:

I somehow disagree on few points you have mentioned here.

I think the points you have mentioned here are for Wire-framing process and not for web design process. You can ignore things like coding, browser compatibility, trends etc while wire-framing.

Whereas html/css is a must for every web designer & when designing graphics and elements of the web page, you can have your creative license for backgrounds and illustrations ( characters, elements i-e ) but while designing navigation, forms and content areas as in WP blog designs etc. We have to consider how the design will be sliced down. SEO also comes into play there. You don’t want your website to be a total jpg image when u’ve used fancy fonts all over and impossible layouts.

Bandwidth will become a issue if the website is for heavy traffic. Small things like ( Photoshop png VS Fireworks png ) are considered by designers to decrease size of web graphics. Its a whole subject of creating and optimizing images for the web.

14. Debi says:

Is this a Joke? It propagates all the opinion designers already have – design something without knowing the dimensions and make a “coder” do the work to get the design up there. Just say no!

15. Neil says:

I’m actually really surprised at how people are arguing the HTML/CSS point. I’ve always taken the approach that I can code any design I’m given, or if I’m doing the design, imagine that the page is not necessarily for the web but an overall experience for the user. Sure when it gets to the coding phase there may have to be tweaks, but if you design “inside the box”, you’ll only ever work on what you think is possible from your coding experience.

16. That’s compleet poop. I hate it when designes have no clue what is possible and what is not.

17. lucideer says:

Here’s a far better guide:
    “1 Thing to Ignore When Designing Websites”
    1. This blog post.

I’m very sorry but this is perhaps some of the very worst advice I’ve encountered on the web. Teamwork and integration requires at the very least an elementary level of understanding.

1. – Trends – this I’d tend to agree on actually, but I’d say the same for most things

2. – HTML/CSS – Unless you’re creating flat static boring designs, and intricate understanding not of the limitations of HTML/CSS, but of the ASSETS of HTML/CSS is crucial – this is essentially like saying a sculptor should be unfamiliar with the properties of stone, or an architect unfamiliar with building materials – utterly irresponsible.

3. – While this is not the worst of crimes, ignoring cross-browser issues can lead to designers being pedantic about pixel perfect designs – something that can seriously limit the aesthetic potential of a site. I’ve seen some websites that actively revel in the diversity of cross-browser quirks, creating a look that looks utterly different (in a good way) when gracefully degraded.

4. Bandwidth – “it’s easier to scale back a design than to scale up” – have you ever tried either? Because it simply isn’t. Scaling back is extremely difficult, often untenable. Scaling up is ridiculously easy.

5. – SEO – This is a content issue more than a design one, so I don’t really see how a designer could even have any influence on SEO even if they wanted to, unless they do something stupid like specify Flash. So this point is fairly moot.

18. @Bonita: I’m actually very much a developer and self taught designer, and translates my experience working with designers who worry too much about the implementation than doing the best design possible. Yes content is king and always will be, but you layout your content should be considered what is best for your user, not for search engines.

@AFI: How you implement your navigation using CSS is not the concern of the designer, any good HTML/CSS developer will be able to use image replacement techniques to make sure the design is coded properly, again these ARE important things to consider, but not something the designer should worry about.

As for the bandwidth argument, how you slice and compress the graphics should not be the concern of the designer, that is what a front end developer will do.

@Debi: So as a designer I should worry about how the website is built, why not use PHP or Ruby on Rails, no you let the developers make the best decision based on the requirements. In the same way the designers should be allowed to make the best decision for the design. Yes there needs to be communication between the designer and the coder to get the work completed, but the designer shouldn’t be thinking about implementation right out of the gate.

@Neil: Thanks! I knew I wasn’t the only one who felt this way 🙂

@Jonno: I never said designers shouldn’t know what is or isn’t possible, but you need to push the boundaries. Just because you think something isn’t possible, do it anyway if its the best thing for the project. If it really is impossible fair enough.

@lucideer: Thanks for calling the article poop and then agreeing with many of the points made.

The comparison with a sculptor is not accurate. A sculptor is creating the statue, the designer is not creating the website. Its like asking a interior designers to know the ins and outs of constructing a house. Does it help, yes is it necessary no.

Slapping additional graphics into the design is easy but taking some out to improve bandwidth performance is not?

19. Pingback: CSS Brigit | 5 Things to Ignore When Designing Websites

20. Manu says:

Very dumb blogpost. Unsubscribed this blog.

21. @manu: Thank you for the dumb response. If you have any valid comments to the post please post them and I will respond.

22. Brett says:

To this article from a designer…

Nope!

23. @Brett: Question … do you code your own designs?

24. Dusan says:

I agree with all of the above EXCEPT (well, partially) not following trends. As for the css/html – Mubashar is completely right. Of course there are limitations to what you can actually do in CSS but why worrying about that while you’re designing?

25. Lars Weimar says:

All I can say to everyone here is that, sure, you can “ignore” the items listed here and try and find reasons to justify it (although it sounds mostly like laziness to me).

But as a strong designer who has an advanced understanding of coding, I can ASSURE you that the TRUE power comes from not ignoring these items but fully understanding them.

If you want to really be a leading edge designer as this article hints at, you want to integrate all huge knowledge of trends, XHTML/CSS, SEO, cross-browser compatibility and bandwidth, not ignore them in any way, shape or form.

And that’s all I have to say about that.

26. @Dusan: Thanks, that’s the point I’ve been trying to make 🙂

@Lars: It’s lovely if you have the time to learn everything related to website building (and stay up-to-date in all the latest developments), but I know most people don’t have time to do that.

I don’t think its being lazy to focus on your part of the process and be the best at that. There are other people involved in the process too, let them do their job.

In your argument the web developers should be experts in design too?

27. Lars Weimar says:

All I can tell you from experience is…it wouldn’t hurt. I consider myself a coder and designer, but I strive to at least have a basic understanding of the developers world and even find myself dabbling very lightly in the development world…if just to be able to communicate with clarity to the people I am working with. On top of that, I would have to say having knowledge of all these things have strengthened my designs, not limited them.

The more educated each member of the team is, the better the end result will end up. Is it required? Of course not. But I would seriously shy away from working with someone who is telling themselves and others to ‘ignore’ parts of the process. It’s one thing to stay lightly educated in other areas and intensely educated in a certain aspect of the process, but it’s quite another to outright IGNORE other areas other than what you are best at.

Whether you are a solo person, part of a small team or part of a very large team, I still find your advice to be short sighted. Knowledge is power…and in this rapidly exploding field, I feel it would be best for yourself and everyone you work with to have as dynamic of an understanding of ALL aspects of this field as humanly possible.

28. Lars I think you’re missing the point of the post. I’ve never said a designer shouldn’t know any of things, yes they are very useful in the process of building a website.

My point was that when you’re actually sitting down and designing the website, keeping these thing out of your mind can help with your boost the creativity of your designs.

If you keep thinking about current trends, or what you can do in HTML/CSS you’ll keep producing the same old tried designs.

29. Rob says:

As a web developer who understands design, I totally agree with your 5 points, especially about ignoring html, css and the others. Taking such things into consideration is constraining, as you imply. As the dev, if I can’t do what you want, then I’ll come back to you about it but that will never happen because I know what I’m doing.

30. Lars Weimar says:

No offense Musbar, but your original post didn’t really clarify the point you were trying to make and it’s clear by the above comments that it was the way you worded it that caused such confusion amongst your readers.

And I agree to disagree…I feel if you are staying current (which is hard yes, but by no means impossible), having that knowledge will expand your horizons in design. But, that’s just my experience.

31. Lars Weimar says:

And my apologies for misspelling name.

32. Tommy says:

I giggle when I hear people call themselves web designers and they can’t code HTML and CSS.

33. @Rob: Thanks for the comment.

@lars: Fair enough. I can see how I could have worded my post better.

34. @Tommy: Why is that?

Do you giggle when a Web developer can’t design?

35. Lars Weimar says:

Tommy makes a point though. If you’re a ‘web designer’, why is it illogical or even surprising to assume that the person calling themselves that would fully know the tools in which a website is built out of?

A developer is an entirely different arena because it doesn’t FOCUS on the actual word “design”…hence, web DESIGNer. By your logic, a web developer shouldn’t can ‘ignore’ PHP if they know Ruby On Rails.

If you are calling yourself a web designer and you don’t know CSS/XHTML nearly inside and out, then you are not a WEB designer, you are a GRAPHIC designer and should advertise yourself as such.

36. Pingback: Say What? Really….? « MMP Design

37. Pingback: 80+ Awesome Community Links for Designers and Developers | tripwire magazine

38. Chris Danek says:

Good designer knows how to create beautiful, inspiring, not standard works WHILE making them possible to implement throughout all browsers.

What good is your design if you can’t make it work in 60% of all browsers (IE).

What if it requires downloading multiple PNG24 images that make the whole thing weight 1MB+ and load as sluggishly as in the old days of dial-up modems?

Being a good designer means you have to know your medium, be it print, architecture or web. HTML and CSS is an essential part of every web page.

39. Lisa Kerr says:

You are suggesting the exact opposite except for item#1 that I am learning in school. The exact opposite. What we are being taught in school hasn’t changed over the last couple of years. A few things get added, but you are going against what every single teacher has taught me in the last two years. What on earth are you? You shouldn’t mislead people labeling an article about designing websites. This is total crap. I certainly hope the people that read your article are smart enought to see your writing for what it is: lies, lies, lies. I agree with #1 but you are completely wrong on everything else. I challenge you to give speeches at colleges and universities all around the country for students of web design, and refer thier professors to your article above. Good luck with that.

40. James says:

Mubashar makes interesting points in his blog and the comments listed here. The purpose of the blog was where the focus of a designer should be in relation to his/her client’s requirements.

I can see how these things apply to that relm. One of the definitions of design is “to plan and fashion artistically or skillfully.” Therefore as a web site designer the language used to build the web site is not really a requirement to meet a client’s needs.

A web site design is merely a plan by which the physical layout and form would be addressed. The development of a web site would need to take into consideration the language used, SEO, image optimization, etc.

41. Ricardo Zea says:

Sr., you are SO wrong about the SEO part, oh man.

But the concept you (and seems like MANY more Web Designers than I though of) are SO wrong about, is that the Web Designer doesn’t code his/her own designs…

You clearly have NO IDEA about HTML/CSS implementation: “Let the front end developers worry about hacking the browsers to make sure things work cross browser.”

I am a Web Designer, I implement every single one of my designs and NONE of my latest HTML/CSS implementations in the past 3 years have any CSS hacks, and all my builds look perfect in standards compliance browsers and Ok in IE6.

What a sad article, good thing the majority of us here (if not all), disagree with many of the things you say here.

Web Designers, be careful with the author’s message on this post.

42. @chris: I guess I have different experience of current html/css techniques, the front end developers I work with haven’t had any trouble producing code that works across all browsers including IE6, irrespective of the design.

I don’t know why the designer would require PNG24 be used for an image making it 1MB+, surely when the code is sliced by the front end developer they can use the appropriate image format, keeping the file sizes reasonable.

Being a good designer does mean you understand the medium you’re working with, but it doesn’t mean they understand everything about the medium they work with. Leaning on more knowledgeable parts of your team is a hallmark of a good team member, not a bad one. If something really is impossible to code, your team will tell you, but don’t stop yourself using a design just because you think it would impossible due to the technology.

43. luna says:

from experience, the best designers, even if it’s not their job to code, are ones who understand the medium they are designing for.

being handed a design that simply won’t work in a browser, cross-browser issues or not, is a waste of everyone’s time.

web is not print, and shouldn’t try to be.

44. @Lars: I’m not sure how a PHP developer learning Rails apply here. PHP and Rails are tools for backend developer to build a dynamic website. A PHP expert can learn a lot from Rails and vice versa, even if they stick to their own framework of choice.

The equivalent would be to have a designer who is an expert in Photoshop learn Illustrator, or Fireworks. Tools of their trade to build a better design.

45. @Lisa: What exactly are going to school for? And what are they teaching you?

I never said a designer shouldn’t know HTML/CSS or shouldn’t be able to code their own designs.

What I’ve tried to say and clear up in the comments is that a designer should ignore what they think they know about HTML/CSS when sitting down and doing the actual design of a website. I doubt very much given the current state of HTML/CSS that anything they produce will be impossible to create by a good front end developer.

Even if (or perhaps especially if) the designer is coding their own work, I think it’s even more important to forget what they think they know about HTML/CSS, just create the best design. You may have some more learning to do to be able to implement it, but that is a small price to pay for producing a good website.

Oh and please refer your college professors here, I’d argue these points with them too.

46. @James: Thanks for the comment and the support. This precisely what I’ve been trying to say.

It seems most of the people commenting objections here are designer who code their own designs. The point of the post was not that designers shouldn’t code their own work or know how-to, but that when they do the design don’t worry about how it is going to be built.

Anything you can dream can probably be built with HTML/CSS, and if you can’t you probably just need to learn more HTML/CSS.

47. @Ricardo: If you want to code your own designs, good for you. I know plenty of designer who don’t, and plenty of designers who do,

Never in my post did I say a designer shouldn’t code his/her own designs, all I said was that when DESIGNING a website the designer shouldn’t worry about about is or not possible in the HTML/CSS primarily because they probably don’t know everything about what is or is not possible.

People seem to be misunderstanding that there is a difference in DESIGNING a website and what you deliver to the client when you’re finished with BUILDING a website. In a lot of cases the designer is reponisble for the whole process, but this post was not about the whole process, it was about the DESIGNING of a website.

Also, I’ve looked over your portfolio, and I mean no offense, but I see plenty of hacks in those sites, maybe those works are from earlier.

48. @luna: Perhaps you could show me a design that couldn’t be built in HTML/CSS because I haven’t seen one in years.

49. Ok, firstly I left a comment on here a couple of days ago in reponse to what you said, you replied with nothing.

Secondly. “@luna: Perhaps you could show me a design that couldn’t be built in HTML/CSS because I haven’t seen one in years.” so why argue the point that HTML/CSS confines the designers work?

I’m really sorry but this is utter rubbish. I think you need to step back and consider this post a little more, your just attacking 5 random points without actually considering the implications of those points being ignored, large sites can increase server load if lots of people are pulling large image files at the same time, consider these things before writing such rubbish again.

50. @alistair: I believe I responded to your original comment above.

My point with the HTML/CSS is that yes you can implement just about any design nowadays, but people with limited knowledge of HTML/CSS think otherwise. They then go about changing their designs based on what they think they can implement.

What the post was trying to say was to design the best design, if HTML/CSS isn’t your thing, don’t let it affect it.

If you are the person implementing the design, it can be much harder to make this break, but it can be valuable to try.

I keep hearing this argument about websites containing large files being bad on the server for large sites. If you have a large site, offload the images to a CDN or yeah use better image compression for your web assets to make smaller files. You’ll notice none of those are design solutions, and there are plenty of other options.