Monday Marvels: 24 Heads of Government Websites

In honor of Presidents Day I thought I’d put together a small showcase of websites of heads of government from around the world.

I was surprised that many of the websites did not display the current incumbent a little more prominently. Perhaps the hope was that people would know the incumbent well enough already, perhaps that would true for their own country, but lets not forget the rest of the world.

United States

Incumbent: Barack Obama

The website for President Obama is very big upgrade from that of his predecessor, not a surprise really considering how the president made use of the Internet during his election campaign.

United Kingdom

Incumbent: Manmohan Singh

Pakistan

Incumbent: Yousaf Raza Gillani

South Africa

Incumbent: Jacob Zuma

About Mubashar Iqbal

Mubashar Iqbal is the creator of Most Inspired, a web designer and developer, who has been building websites for over 13 years. You can read his blog at Mubashar Iqbal
This entry was posted in Inspiring and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Monday Marvels: 24 Heads of Government Websites

1. Downs says:

I didn’t think it was possible to associate words like “beauty” and “government.” But I stand corrected. Well done.

2. Pingback: [User Link:Websites of 24 Heads of Government] | Tips for Designers and Developers | tripwire magazine

3. Pingback: 24 Heads of Government Websites | Design Newz

4. Keith says:

Mubashar, you might want to amend the label of “England” that you have applied to the Number10.gov.uk site, before you offend readers from Scotland, Northern Ireland or Wales 😉

It should be “United Kingdom”: it may be poorly understood across the Atlantic, but the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is the sovereign state of which England is just one of four constituent countries.

5. @keith: Good point, and I do know better having lived in London for quite a few years.

In my research though I did find websites for the Government of Scotland, the National Assembly for Wales, and Northern Ireland Executive so I guess I’m was going to offend someone either way.

6. Keith says:

@Mubashar: Ah yes, we’re doing our best to confuse the rest of the world with our devolved forms of government!

Scotland does indeed have its own parliament and government with a First Minister at its head. The Scottish Government is responsible for health, education, justice, rural affairs, and transport in Scotland; other matters such as defence and foreign policy are reserved to the Westminster parliament in London, which is the supreme parliament for the UK. The Number10.gov.uk site is the site of the UK Prime Minister, who heads the UK Government, and so it is appropriate to label the site “UK” rather than “England” — the two are not synonymous, which you will know having lived there.

I’m sure that’s all clear as mud! 🙂

7. Pingback: 80+ Awesome Fresh Post for Designers and Developers | World Wide Web

8. Nils Geylen says:

Hey, nice collection here and quite different from the usual comparison of portals we get to see.

There may be some nitpicking comments to follow I’m sure, and I don’t want to come across as one, but it struck me that you’ve mixed PMs with presidents for at least a couple of countries.

For Ireland you’ve chosen the president (McAleese), but not the PM (Cowen). For Germany and France you’ve chosen the PM (Merkel and Fillon) but not the president (Köhler and Sarkozy).

I fully understand though, because there are huge differences in importance and function in these separate countries. I wouldn’t consider this an oversight or a mistake at all.

And as I said at the beginning, it’s a very interesting overview. Thanks.

9. @Nils: Thanks for the comment.

I wish I was smart enough to understand the different ways that every country operated their governments, maybe I should have gone to school for something other than computer science 🙂

10. Hüseyin says:

Hello, I suggest another government website. It’s from Turkey http:///www.turkiye.gov.tr

11. Chalil Costa says:

Faltou citar o do governo da croácia!